How to become a top
How to grow your career:
- There is more than one “top”, which you can pursue to become. Maybe you will never become the top leader in your organization, but you might become the top technician, or the top moderator in your business.
- There is more than one way to get to the top.
- enrichment: Tweek your current job to make it more interesting and worthwhile.
- exploratory: exploring opportunities helps to reduce stress and lets you decide if the opportunity is what you really want.
- lateral: gain a different perspective by moving to another function or department.
- realignment: take the time to reflect on what you really want.
- vertical: if you are ready to move up, go for it.
- relocation: you may have to move out to move up.
There is more than one direction how your career can grow. Assess your professional development to define what matters most to you. Take stock of your skills, interests, values, and goals. Ask for for feedback from those you trust.
The summary explains each of the ways for career growth in detail and shows its potential as a career growth path. Some of these options only work in at least medium-sized organizations, so that moving laterally is a viable option.
My favorite quotes from the summary are:
Go beyond the career ladder, and make the career moves that are right for you.
When people learn and grow and realize their potential, everyone wins.
We need to see the current job as fertile soil for career growth.
Some growth opportunities may not be available inside the organization. When that is the case, be open and honest about it.
*: The special shared link allows everyone to read the full getabstract summary for three days.